April 10, 2010

The Final Countdown! More 'Sweet Films to See'


Hey Everyone!
This is my last post in the Top Anticipated Films of 2010 for the Sweet Films to See series. The final 3 are an interesting bunch. I really think that these films will only appeal to select audiences, but I encourage everyone to at least take at look at what they have to offer.

After the jump, I share my extreme excitement for I am Love, Rabbit Hole, and The Tree of Life.


#3  I am Love (Io Sono L’Amore)
When I attended last year’s Toronto International Film Festival, I am Love was nowhere on my radar. I honestly had never heard of it, so didn’t think to include it in my list of movies to see. It was only after TIFF that I a) read anything about it and b) cried a little inside for not realizing this existed.

I am Love is a tale about a wealthy family woman (Tilda Swinton) who falls in love with her husband’s business partner. While that might be a routine topic, the production values surely bring seem to bring the film to a whole new level. Apparently Swinton and director Luca Guadagnino collaborated together on this project for seven years. I love the look of all the images in the trailer. I think I am Love could be everything fabulous and romantic about Italy that Nine wasn’t and so much more.

What I’m also hoping for with this film is that it brings Tilda Swinton the attention she deserves. Yes, she won the Oscar a couple years back for Michael Clayton, but I don’t think she is getting enough recognition yet. Her performance in her last film Julia was one of, if not the strongest lead actress roles of 2009 (and surely at a calibre much higher than Sandra Bullock).
I am Love drew rave reviews from the Venice Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival and the Sundance Film Festival. If that still doesn’t convince you, check out the trailer below.
 

I am Love is being distributed by Magnolia Pictures and opens in select cities starting June 18.
#2 Rabbit Hole
In film that sounds 2 parts Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?, one part Rachel Getting Married and one part Revolutionary Road, Rabbit Hole is bound to be one hell of a depressing movie. Based on the Tony-winning play, Rabbit Hole follows the dissolution of a couple’s marriage after the death of their son. Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart star.

To be honest, I really like movies like this. Yes, they make lots of people sad and uncomfortable, but they force you to confront things that you would rather not. While I have a) never had a child nor lost one in an accident, and b) never been married or close to it, watching a couple disintegrate on screen is always devastating. I always find myself torn between who to side with, hate or feel sorry for. 

It’s been quite a while since John Cameron Mitchell directed a film and Rabbit Hole didn’t really strike me as a logical follow-up to his controversial real-sex drama (and work or art!) Shortbus. I’m interested to see what he is going to do with the film. I’m also hoping that this will be a good choice for Nicole Kidman. She hasn’t had a decent film in a long time and this seems like an interesting role for her.
Not entirely sure when the film is coming out, but in this really good NY Times article, there is mention that Fox Searchlight has first dibs on the indie.
#1  The Tree of Life
While I can say that I don’t know that much about this film, I was very excited once I heard about it. Terrence Malick is probably my favourite director and I will (impatiently) wait for him to send his work out no matter how long it takes. Every story he tells is beautifully crafted. The plot is usually quite minimal, but the visuals, acting and themes make it a genuine work of art.

His films always have the most breathtaking cinematography, which is my biggest downfall in any film. I will watch almost anything if it has well-executed imagery. The New World, his previous film, was filmed entirely with available light and only using minimal camera techniques and technology. Days of Heaven was only filmed in the hour or so that took place around dusk and dawn. The pictures he gives us bring the material to a whole other meaning and are something that really must be seen on a big screen. (Which makes me sad I wasn’t around for Days, but thankfully my parents have a projector screen). Emmanuel Lubezki, who did the cinematography for The New World (and also Children of Men) also filmed this picture, so it’s sure to be breathtaking.
The Tree of Life seems to be told in the flashbacks of Jack (Sean Penn) to a time in his childhood. His carefree world is thrown into chaos when he witnesses the death of his mother.... (I think). Brad Pitt plays the father.
Rumor has it that The Tree of Life is readying itself for a premiere at Cannes and then will play in theatres sometime around November.

Thanks for joining me with this countdown! Hope you marked your calendars when possible! See you at the movies. Best sure to check back for more Sweet Films.
-Brian.

2 comments:

  1. If you re-read the NYTimes article on Rabbit Hole, it does not say anything about Fox Searchlight distributing the film, in fact, in the article, according to Kidman who is producing the film, it has not distributor. Fox Searchlight has a first look deal with Kidman's production company but it does not mean that they have distribution rights yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoopsie.
    Thanks for pointing that out. will fix that. The article is kind of old, and both IMDB and ComingSoon have FSL as the distributor, so my guess is that they did pick it up?
    -Brian.

    ReplyDelete