March 20, 2010

Brian & Lizz's Adventures in Lobster Thermidor

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a 'What the hell?' attitude"
                                                                                                                    - Julia Child


Lizz and I have been wanting to make Julia Child's Lobster Thermidor forever. After putting it off so many times, we decided that when she was coming down this month that it would finally get done. Lobsters are such ugly creatures......... but they are so tasty!! I really can't remember the last time I had one. I rarely eat seafood except for my family's pre-Christmas party, so I was really excited for this to happen.




It was a really intimidating recipe.... it had 7 sets of ingredient mixes and 32 steps in total.


 The hardest part was picking up the lobsters and putting them into the pot. Although we didn't need to buy two, we had originally planned on racing them (and secretly were just being greedy!), but then I didn't want to pick them up twice. We also had the awkwardness of one of the lobsters getting stuck on my meat cleaver when it came time to split them in half.


It was one of the best cooking experiences I've ever had in my life!! It took over three hours, but I think that made it even better. Step 32 was my favourite!!



It was something that we had worked so hard on and been looking so forward to. The recipe itself was a lot less expensive than I thought it would be. We only spent 20$ each, so its just the same as going out for dinner.



I definitely encourage everyone to try this!! The most intimidating recipes are doable if you follow them step-by-step. The satisfaction tasting something you've worked so hard on is one of the best feelings ever.

It would totally be a lie if I didn't say that Julie and Julia was a partial inspiration to making this. I really like the idea of making food I see from movies. Its the perfect way to combine my two major interests. They Waitress pies that I make will most certainly come in later posts.

Bon Appétit indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment